Mr. Darrell K. Phillipson is the Vice Director, 711th Human Performance Wing. The 711 HPW advances human performance and integration for air, space, and cyberspace through research, education, consultation, and operational support. The wing operates at seven geographically separated sites; the two major locations are: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio and Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The wing's primary mission units are the Airman Systems Directorate, the U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine and the Human Performance Integration Directorate. The wing is comprised of 2,000 personnel encompassing more than 70 scientific, technical, and medical disciplines and executes an annual $300 million budget.
Mr. Phillipson began his Air Force career in 1989 as an enlisted Airman in Strategic Air Command and was commissioned as an officer after graduating from the United States Air Force Academy. Upon commissioning, he was awarded a scholarship to attend graduate school at Arizona State University where he received a Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. He has held diverse technical and leadership positions encompassing a diverse range of perspectives (enlisted, officer, civil servant, contractor, & business owner). Throughout his career, Mr. Phillipson has excelled in organizational leadership, personnel development, program management, engineering management, supervision, and systems engineering. Mr. Phillipson has held numerous AF roles which include serving as AF S&T Authorizing Official (AO), AF S&T Principal to the DoD High Performance Computing Modernization Program, and AFRL Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Mr. Phillipson entered federal civilian service in 2007 as Deputy Chief of the AFRL Plans and Programs Space Sector and was promoted to the grade of Senior Scientific and Technical Manager in June 2017 as the AFRL Director of Collaboration and Computing prior to being selected to his current position.
1995 Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1996 Master of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
2008 Air War College
1999 Squadron Officers School
- 1989-1990 Missile & Space Electronic Maintenance Specialist (E-3; 2MO31A), F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
- 1990-1991 Cadet, US Air Force Academy Preparatory School, USAFA, Colo.
- 1991-1995 Cadet, US Air Force Academy, USAFA, Colo.
- 1995-1996 Student, Arizona State University, Phoenix, Ariz.
- 1996-2001 Chief, Advanced Optics & Imaging Division; Lead Engineer, Advanced Imaging System Program Office; Satellite Systems Engineer, AFRL/RD, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
- 2001-2003 Senior Systems Engineer, Spectrum Astro Incorporated, Gilbert, Ariz.
- 2003-2004 Registered Representative and Agent, First Command Financial Planning, Glendale, Ariz.
- 2004-2007 Lead Systems Engineer & IR&D Program Manager, Lockheed Martin, Goodyear, Ariz.
- 2006-2007 Horizontal Integration Lead, Lockheed Martin, Goodyear, Ariz.
- 2007-2009 Deputy Chief, Space Division, Plans and Programs Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2009-2010 Chief, Transformation Branch, Plans and Programs Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2010-2011 Chief, Strategic Planning & Transformation Division, Plans and Programs Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2011-2014 Chief, Systems Engineering Division, Engineering and Technical Management Directorate, HQ AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2014-2019 Director, Research Collaboration & Computing Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 2019-PRESENT Vice Director, 711th Human Performance Wing, WPAFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Medal, 2014
HQ AFMC Engineering and Technical Management Civilian of the Year, 2013
Air Force Notable Achievement Award 2012
Air Force Special Act/Service Award, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016
AFRL HQ Manager of the Quarter, 4th Quarter, 2008
Lockheed Martin Significant & Special Recognition Awards, 2004 & 2006
Air Force Commendation Medal, 2000
Air Force Achievement Medal, 1999