Colonel Fred E. Garcia II is the Director, Information Directorate, and Commander, Detachment 4, Air Force Research Laboratory, Rome, New York. The Information Directorate (RI) is the Air Force’s leading research organization for command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) and cyber (+1) technologies. The mission of RI is to explore, prototype and demonstrate high-impact, game-changing technologies that enable the Air Force and nation to maintain its superior technical advantage. RI consists of more than 2,200 military, civilians, and on-site contractors and an annual budget of over $1.5 billion.
Colonel Garcia is a native of Colorado and received his commission through the Air Force ROTC program at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL in 1997. He has served in a variety of assignments and officer career fields including scientist & engineering, management & assignments, strategic communications and operation operations analysis, nuclear detonation detection & weapons effects, satellite & seismic nuclear alert, mechanical engineering design & production, acquisitions program management including logistics and engineering, and Deputy Director, Nuclear Technology and Integration Directorate, Air Force Nuclear Weapon Center. Colonel Garcia commanded AFTAC Det 452 in Wonju ROK, AFROTC Det 510 at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, and for a brief period, commanded the 341st Mission Support Group (MSG) at Malmstrom AFB MT.
Colonel Garcia assumed his present position in April 2021.
1997 - Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Florida
2001 - Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2002 - Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2007 - Space 200 Course, U.S. Air Force Space Operations School, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2008 - Air Command and Staff College (via distributed learning)
2010 - Space 300 Course, U.S. Air Force Space Operations School, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2011 - JPME-II, Joint & Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, VA
2012 - IDE, Strategic Policy Fellowship, Washington DC
2013 - Air War College (via distributed learning)
2019 - SDE, US Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, RI
1. February 1998 – February 1999, Acquisitions Logistics Officer, Aero Systems Center, Wright
Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. February 1999 – August 1999, Lead Mechanical Countermeasures Engineer, Ballistic Missile
Defense Organization, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
3. August 1999 – March 2001, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB,
4. March 2001 – March 2004, Nuclear Effects Analyst, United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
5. March 2004 – May 2007, United States Nuclear Detonation Detection System (USNDS) Operational Assessment Branch Chief & Satellite Alert Officer, Patrick AFB, Florida
6. May 2007 – May 2008, Strategic Communications Analyst, Multi National Forces-Iraq, International Zone, US Embassy, Baghdad, Iraq
7. August 2008 – June 2009, Commander, USAF Seismic Det 452 & Wonju Air Station, Wonju, Republic of Korea
8. June 2009 – August 2011, Chief of Scientist Officer Assignments, Randolph AFB, Texas
9. August 2011 – June 2012, IDE Student, Air Force Fellows Program, Strategic Policy Fellow, Washington, D.C.
10. July 2012 – June 2014, Deputy Division Chief, Acquisition Force Development, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition (SAF/AQ), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2014 – May 2016, Commander & Professor of Aerospace Studies, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, Detachment 510, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
12. May 2016 – July 2018, Deputy Group Commander and Commander, 341st Mission Support Group, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Montana
13. July 2018 – July 2019, SDE Student, US Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, Rhode Island
14. July 2019 – April 2021, Deputy Director, Nuclear Technology and Integration, Air Force Nuclear Weapon Center, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico
15. April 2021 – Present, Director, Information Directorate, and Commander, Detachment 4, Air Force Research Laboratory, Rome, New York.
ACQUISITION PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Program Management – Level III
Scientist and Technology Manager – Level III Engineering – Level III
Test and Evaluation – Level I Logistics – Level I
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leave clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal Iraq Campaign Medal with Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
ACHIEVEMENTS / DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 10 January, 1998
First Lieutenant 10 January, 2000
Captain 10 January, 2002
Major 1 July, 2007
Lt Col 1 December, 2012
Colonel 1 April, 2019
(Current as of April 2021)