Mr. Michael J. Newman is the Director of Staff, 711th Human Performance Wing (HPW), Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (AFB), Ohio. The 711 HPW advances human performance and integration for air, space, and cyberspace through research, education, consultation, and operational support. Mr. Newman communicates the Wing commander's intent and oversees staff activities to ensure implementation.
Mr. Newman began his Air Force career in 1985 after graduating from The Citadel. He spent his military career as a communications-computer systems officer in various assignments in fixed and mobile communications units stateside and overseas. Mr. Newman became a federal civilian in 2007 as the Information Assurance Officer/IT Operations Lead for AFRL’s then-Human Effectiveness Directorate. In 2008, he became the Chief of the Computer/Network Support Division for the 711th Human Performance Wing. In 2014, he became the Deputy, Management Operations, and in 2016 was selected to be the first civilian director of the Management Operations Directorate for the 711 HPW. On 30 September 2018, Mr. Newman assumed the duties of the 711 HPW Director of Staff, supporting more than 2000 personnel advancing human performance in support of the warfighter. He is married to Angela Newman.
1985 Bachelor’s, Mathematics, minor in Biology, The Citadel
1986 Squadron Officers’ School
1997 Master’s, Computer Resources and Information Systems Management, Webster University
1998 Air Command and Staff College
2008 DoD 8570 Information Assurance Professional Certification, COMPTIA Security+ Certification
2011 Level III, Information Technology
- June 1985 – June 1994, Various Comm-Comp Systems leadership positions, Group/Squadron, CONUS and OCONUS
- June 1994 – June 1997, Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
- June 1997 – August 1999, Director of Ops/Chief Technology Officer, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- August 1999 – April 2001, Director, Pacific Air Forces Network Operations and Security Center, PACAF CSS, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
- April 2001 – July 2002, Director, Communications and Information, 715 AMOG, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
- July 2002 – August 2005, Chief, Communications-Computer Inspections, HQ Air Force Materiel Command Inspector General, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- August 2005 – June 2007, Program Manager/Business Requirements Analyst, Enterprise Business Systems Program Office, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- June 2007 – August 2009, IT Lead/Information Assurance Officer, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- August 2009 – July 2014, Chief Information Officer/Chief, Computer Network Support Division, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- July 2014 – June 2016, Deputy, Management Operations, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- June 2016 – September 2018, Director, Management Operations, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- September 2018 – present, Director of Staff, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
(Current as of July 2021)