CMSgt Carlos E. Labrador is the Command Chief, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the senior enlisted leader and the primary advisor to the commander on all matters regarding the readiness, training, development, and effective utilization of a 6,500-member workforce that spans across the globe through the laboratory’s technology and functional directorates, the 711th Human Performance Wing and AFWERX. Chief Labrador assists the commander in the implementation of a $3 billion science, technology and innovation enterprise and a $3 billion external research and development program.
Chief Labrador enlisted in the Air Force in June 1996. In December 1996, he graduated from the Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course at Brooks Air Force Base, Texas. He has excelled in diverse leadership and management positions, to include Senior Enlisted Leader for Medical and Air Expeditionary Groups, Technical School Instructor and Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course Director, Additional Duty First Sergeant, and major command Functional Manager for Air Force Central Command and Pacific Air Forces Command. Prior to his current assignment, Chief Labrador served as the Command Chief, National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
1996 Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
1999 USAF Airmen Leadership School, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2002 Basic Instructor Course, USAF Technical Training School, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
2003 Associates Degree, Bioenvironmental Engineering Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2003 Associates Degree, Instructor of Technology and Military Science, Community College of the Air Force
2004 Occupational Instructor Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2006 USAF Noncommissioned Officer Academy, JB San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
2008 USAF First Sergeant Academy Additional Duty Course, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2013 USAF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2015 Intermediate Executive Skills Course, San Antonio, Texas
2017 Combined Senior Leadership Course, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Va.
2017 USAF Chief Master Sergeant’s Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Alaska
2018 Air Force Sustainment Center Art of the Possible Senior Leader Course, Tinker AFB, Okla.
2019 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, JB Andrews, Md.
2020 Air Advisor Advanced Course, USAF Expeditionary Operations School, JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
2021 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation, Judge Advocate General’s School, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2021 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina
2022 Alan L. Freed Associates Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington D.C.
2023 Keystone Command Senior Enlisted Leader Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
- June 1996 – August 1996, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
- August 1996 – December 1996, Student, Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
- January 1997 – December 1997, Bioenvironmental Engineering Technician, 305th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
- December 1997 – November 2002, NCOIC, Bioenvironmental Engineering Radiation Protection Section, 96th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
- November 2002 – July 2006, Director, Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course, USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks City-Base, Texas
- July 2006 – June 2011, NCOIC, Bioenvironmental Engineering, Air Force Research Laboratory, Detachment 7, Edwards AFB, Calif.
- July 2011 – April 2014, Superintendent, 412th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
- April 2014 – May 2016, Bioenvironmental Engineering Superintendent, 18th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan (January 2015 – August 2015, AFCENT Theater Bioenvironmental Engineering Functional Manager, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
- June 2016 – July 2018, Superintendent, 673rd Aerospace Medicine Squadron and PACAF Bioenvironmental Engineering Functional Manager, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
- July 2018 – December 2020, Superintendent, 78th Medical Group, Robins AFB, Ga. (May 2020 – October 2020, Superintendent, 321st Air Expeditionary Group, Al Asad AB, Iraq)
- December 2020 – June 2022, Command Chief, 78th Air Base Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
- June 2022 – July 2023, Command Chief, National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- July 2023 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Organizational Excellence Award with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal with bronze campaign star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air and Space Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and one oak leaf cluster
1996 Honor Graduate, Bioenvironmental Engineering Apprentice Course, Brooks AFB, Texas
1999 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2006 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer’s Academy, JB San Antonio-Lackland AFB, Texas
2007 & 2008 NCO of the Year, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB (HQ), Ohio
2009 & 2010 Add’l Duty First Sergeant of the Year, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB (HQ), Ohio
2010 SNCO of the Year, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB (HQ), Ohio
2010 Air Force Materiel Command Bioenvironmental Engineering Technician of the Year
2011 & 2012 SNCO of the Year, 412th Medical Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Nov 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2023)